Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide
To me, one of the most interesting things about the Linux operating system is that users can change it and legally sell their new product. This openly accessible model is so unusual in the cut-throat world of business. This open-source model seems similar to Wikipedia: anyone can use it and change it. Of course, the difference with Linux is that people can make a profit!
This seems a little confusing to me though. The article mentioned that all of the versions were similar. So how do I (someone not familiar with the product) know which version to use? I understand that the distribution I use must be compatible with my computer’s hardware, but it sounds like there are so many versions that it is difficult to choose after I figure that out.
The article mentions that Linux is not very user friendly, so I am wary of it. I hope that we can see how the Linux system works in our next class. It would be nice to develop some familiarity with the system before using it by myself.
What is Mac OS X? and Mac OS X (Wikipedia Article)
Sections of What is Mac OS X? were difficult for me to follow because I am unfamiliar with the technical computing terminology. However, I did gain a basic understanding of Mac OS X. Most importantly, I became convinced that Mac OS X is easier to use than Linux. That would be my main consideration in picking it over Linux. While I do not have a Mac now, I will probably purchase one as my next computer.
I have not purchased a Mac yet because they are expensive. This brings up another point about Mac OS X vs. Linux: the cost. Linux is free, and can be modified to fit your needs. If you are a software engineer this can be useful. In contrast, Mac OS X is expensive, and can’t be changed and resold for a profit. For me, the cost is a consideration, but I am convinced that the quality of the product is worth it.
The author mentioned that there are not a lot of programs available on Mac OS X, but the quality of its programs make up for it. I see this as a major plus for this system. As someone who at times is technologically challenged, the idea of having fewer programming choices is appealing (especially since they work well).
This Wikipedia article was basically a shorter version of What is Mac OS X? I think the article did a particularly good job of showing the progress of the Mac OS X, and how it changed through its different versions. This article made me think that Apple has done a great job of developing a user friendly, well designed, fast and reliable operating system. I look forward to getting a Mac in the near future.
An Update on the Windows Roadmap
In all honesty, I found the discussion following the memo more interesting than the memo itself. The discussion revealed a whole host of problems that people had been having with Windows Vista, and doubts about how different Windows 7 would be from Windows Vista. The memo was trying to assure people about the product, but instead the discussion poked holes in it.
I am most familiar with Windows as an operating system. I am glad I received a free version of Windows 7 because I don’t think it would have been worth it to buy the upgrade from Windows Vista. I personally didn’t see many differences, and the things that were changed were not significantly better. I think that Windows 7 is yet another example of a company slightly changing its product, promoting it as “much improved,” and selling it to users that won’t benefit much from it. I apologize if I sound like I’m ranting, but I get tired of trying to keep up with current technology. I don’t like being told that I need to shell out money for the newest programs and devices that are supposedly much better than the next earliest version, but in reality aren’t.
I think that cost is a central concern for most consumers in the market for a new personal computer. And although the jargon in some of these articles was way too technical for me to follow at times, it seemed as though most of the authors were insinuating that OS X was a good system because it was most similar to Linux. It is astounding to me to think that all of Linux's programs are open source and that Mac's OS is so costly. I guess it just goes to show how valuable a user friendly interface can be. I personally love working on Macs, but I feel like you get very little bang for your buck. I think that once I get the time, I would love to try a Linux OS. But again, I think time is more valuable to most people right now...so bring on the expensive, easy to use, beautiful machines.
ReplyDeleteHey Eden,
ReplyDeleteI definetly understand your frusteration with regards to the adaptability of the various versions toward a specific computer. I wonder if there is a configuration process which would implement a particular version of Linux for a particular computer? The challenge for the Linux as we move forward is to develop one universal/easy to use program which would be compatible for every type computer. Sounds like a tall task, but I am sure it can be done.
Adam Brody